The Ultimate Moving Checklist
This is a guest blog post by Michael Stafford, Franchisee at TWO MEN AND A TRUCK®
After enduring the lengthy process of finding your perfect home, securing the loan and closing the deal, you’re ready to move in!
But while the idea of moving your belongings from place to place sounds simple, the reality often proves more difficult—especially as you come to realize you have more possessions than previously thought!
With more than 30 years of moving experience, TWO MEN AND A TRUCK® knows exactly what to do to ensure a timely, cost-effective and stress-free transition. Being a professional mover, new homeowners often come to me asking for tips on how to prepare for their big move.
So, to help from start to finish, I’ve compiled advice from both myself and other top movers across the country to create the ultimate moving checklist. I hope you find it useful as you prepare for the big day!
One Month Before Moving
The month before your move is often the most critical in getting everything set up, organized and ready for moving day. Here are a few things you’ll want to do at this time:
- Reserve a moving company as soon as you know you are moving. If you need packing assistance, TWO MEN AND A TRUCK® can conveniently pack your house, apartment or condo for you
- Purchase moving boxes and necessary packing supplies
- Begin the process of cleaning out closets, the garage and attic—three places in a home that are often most cluttered
- Donate unwanted belongings to charity, or host a garage sale to make a little extra cash to supplement your moving expenses
- If you have kids, arrange to transfer school records
- Get change of address cards from your local post office, or simply change your address online
- Notify any subscriptions, charge accounts, insurance companies, online store shipping and all other applicable organizations of your change of address
One to Two Weeks Before Moving
Here is a checklist of what you should do a week or two before the big move:
- Prepare a “survival closet” of what you’ll need for the final days before moving, and include snacks for the last day
- If you decide to pack yourself, label all moving boxes as you pack. Write the destination room on the top and sides of each moving box to ensure the movers get it to the right place in your new home
- Schedule disconnects for utilities including gas, electric, water and telephone as applicable. Arrange for refunds that are due, and schedule connections for your new residence
- Cancel subscriptions, internet, cable TV, security systems, pest control, cleaning service, lawn maintenance and any other applicable services that go through your home annually
The Week of Moving
On the week you’re supposed to move, everything should be packed and ready to go, with only final cleaning and storage work being done. Checklist includes:
- Mail in your change of address forms, if applicable
- Clean kitchen appliances—including the stove, oven and refrigerator—and finish any last-minute cleaning before moving day
- Complete the packing process and ensure all items are boxed and ready to go prior to the movers’ arrival
- If applicable, plan for where your children or pets will go during the moving time, such as a relative or friend’s house
- Ensure you have transportation to your new home for yourself, family and pets
The Day Before Moving
The checklist of what you should do the day before your move includes:
- Read through your moving company’s pre-move email to ensure you’re up-to-date on everything that will take place when the movers arrive
- Ensure all breakables have been removed from furniture and packed away properly
- Gather firearms and ammunition, if applicable, to be moved yourself, as these items cannot be transported by moving companies
- Withdraw enough cash to tide you over. It will come in handy if you need to order food during your move, or dinner in your new place
- Say goodbye to your neighbors!
Moving day has finally arrived! Here is a checklist of things to keep in mind amidst the hustle and bustle:
- Create a safe path for the movers to navigate by clearing your driveway of objects
- Pack your suitcase and day-of-move box with all necessary essentials to get you through the next few days, in case you don’t get to unpacking right away
- Be present when the movers arrive so you can walk them through the house and indicate what you need moved or anything in particular, they should be aware of
- Once all belongings are loaded onto the moving truck, do one more walkthrough of the house, lock all windows and doors and check that the lights and thermostat are off
- Head to your new home!
Click here to get a printable version of this ultimate moving checklist, for your convenience.
Still looking for a mortgage so you can move into the perfect place, Ross Mortgage can help make your dream home a reality. Send us a message, and we’ll be happy to provide you with expert guidance!